Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Review: Lush Cupcake Mask


Lush Cupcake Mask (pic taken with flash) - color is a little lighter and more grey in real life
This is my first experience using a Lush Fresh Face Mask*.  I originally went into the store to purchase Sacred Truth or Brazen Honey but the salesgirl suggested Cupcake.  The Lush website says this about Cupcake:

Features
  • Sleepover staple: Cupcake is definitely a fixture at slumber parties for it’s wonderful effect on teenage skin.
  • It looks good enough to eat: But no, it doesn’t taste like chocolate pudding. Trust us.
  • Refreshing minty tingle: We combine spearmint, fresh mint and peppermint oils in Cupcake.
I actually really wanted to try the Cupcake mask because it sounds fun!  Chocolate on my face - sign me up!  But teenage skin?  I am in my 30s and I have normal/combination skin.  I do get occasional zits so maybe the salesgirl took one look at my face and thought I could use a good detoxifying mask.  I like to think she mistook me for a teenager but that's probably not the case.  Either way, I happily added it to my basket.

The mask is good for up 3 weeks (expiration date on package) and I was able to use it 6 times before it expired.  There was still some left over but this isn't the type of mask you could use everyday and I didn't want to overdo it.

Application

It's thick.  My fridge is also set on a somewhat higher temperature so it sort of freezes things a little bit.  The first few times it was hard to spread all over my face but I learned to let it sit out so that it is easier to apply.  It does smell great although for me, the scent was overwhelming after a while.  Smells like minty chocolate batter...with a little bit of clay.

Effectiveness

The first time I used this mask I simply rinsed my face with water to remove it.  I did cleanse my skin before applying it!  I got a few new zits the next day because it left a filmy layer.  After that I decided to use a toner (Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner) after washing off the mask.  I like the way my skin looks after using this mask with the toner - brighter and refreshed.  It's only temporary though.  The next morning, my skin looked the same.  I didn't have any breakouts when I used the mask so I am not sure if it would help in clearing skin.  I can say that it didn't cause my face to breakout!

Would I purchase this mask again?  Yes, but I want to try the others first.

Disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with any of the companies or brands mentioned.

*These masks need to be refrigerated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment